The Secretary ensures effective communication links between committee members, and between the association and the school. The Secretary deals with all the correspondence that the association receives and helps the Chair ensure that committee meetings run smoothly.
As well as dealing with correspondence following a committee meeting, the Secretary will need to make bookings and other arrangements for forthcoming events, confirming arrangements made by telephone in writing (by letter or e-mail). The Secretary will make arrangements for the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and help the Chair prepare the annual report. The Secretary may also co-sign cheques on behalf of the association, along with the Treasurer, Chair or other elected committee member.
- deal with correspondence
- prepare agendas
- call meetings – giving plenty of notice
- keep a record of attendance at meetings
- take notes during meetings
- ensure that enough committee members are present to make the meeting quorate (this number is defined in the constitution)
- write up the minutes of meetings
- distribute minutes to all the committee
- make meeting & event arrangements
- co-sign cheques as required
- write the annual report with the Chair